14 Intermarriage Among Deaf People

English Notes
BSL Video

Intermarriage among Deaf people

Within the Deaf community, intermarriage is very common. In some areas, up to 90% of Deaf people marry other Deaf people.  

Many of these couples first get to know each other at a Deaf school, whether a residential or day school. Or, they may have attended the same unit at an integrated/mainstream school. Some Deaf people may have met at further education institutes, such as Doncaster College for the Deaf, or at universities such as Durham, Bristol, Central Lancashire and Wolverhampton. Potential marriages are also made at Deaf clubs, at regional rallies and national congresses of Deaf organisations. Wherever they meet, a high percentage of these Deaf couples choose to stay together permanently.

As more hearing people learn to sign, relationships between Deaf and hearing people have increased.

It might seem logical to assume that marriages between Deaf people will mean that their children are also deaf.  On the contrary, most Deaf parents have hearing children. In fact, less than 10% of all deaf children have one or both Deaf parents. So, the other 90% of deaf children are born to hearing parents.


Back

 

Get the Flash Player to see this player.